Thursday, April 9, 2009

Quilt Museum, York UK

When I was home recently I managed to find an afternoon to go and visit the recently opened Quilt Museum and Gallery. It is situated in the spectacular medieval guildhall of St Anthony in Peasholme Green, York, and is home to The Quilters' Guild of the British Isles (which I must join) and its world-famous Heritage Quilt Collection. It was a freezing day so I was very grateful to get in and see the lovely quilts which make you feel all warm and cosy and almost ready for the 3C outside.

Unfortunately, you couldn’t take photos but if you follow the link to the website www.quiltmuseum.org.uk you will get an idea of the type of work they do and exhibits they have. The guild is having a Little Gems' Quilt Tombola at The Birmingham Quilt Festival in Birmingham – there is a link on the right hand side on the home page. The Birmingham festival is THE festival in the UK and Sue Kirley and I both went last year and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who happens to be in the UK 20 – 23rd August. All you have to do is produce an A4 quilt that they can use to raise money for charity. I was tempted to enter until I looked at the quality of some of the ones they have already received! Maybe it’s something we could do ourselves – have a competition and silent auction?

Janice

No comments: